Pages

Friday

Top Sights To See in Rome

Visiting the famed city of the Roman Empire was one of the awesome trips I had in Europe. I felt honored when I visited one of Europe's and even the world's most visited, famous and beautiful capitals last summer 2010. The trip I had in Rome was truly a memorable and marvelous one.

Rome being called as the 'Eternal City', is the capital and largest city of Italy. It is one of the globe's greatest civilizations and became the center of power, culture, religion and history. The historic center of Rome with its rich historical heritage and cosmopolitan atmosphere made Rome as one of world's most visited capitals.

Here are some of the sights not to miss when visiting Rome

The Colosseum- also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre is an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. It is so far the most famous landmarks of this city. It was capable of seating some 50,000 spectators for animal fights and gladiatorial combats.

I and my friend Nonna from the U.S. had a wonderful time taking pictures in Colosseum.

The Colosseum during our visit last August 2010.

Piazza Venezia- You can find at its centerpiece the enormous and controversial Vittorio Emanuele Monument. Piazza Venezia is located at the opposite end of Via dei Fori Imperiali to the Colosseum. Be careful with the traffic when visiting this site. Most of the times the traffic there is enormous.

The Vittorio Emanuele Monument in Piazza de Venezia.

The Arch of Constantine- this well-preserved monumental arch is just some meters walk from the Colosseum. It commemorates the victory of Constantine, the first Christian emperor, over his rival Maxentius at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge in 312.

The Roman Forum- This is one of the most interesting sites in Rome. The hallowed ruins in Foro Romamo (Italian name) were the most powerful seat of government in the world. There a lot of historical ruins to see in this area of Rome.

St. Peter's Square in Vatican City- This is one of the main reasons why I visited Rome. It is really one of my dreams to go inside St. Peter's Basilica. I was very happy and contented after my visit there. Another travel wish came true. We even had the chance to go up to its cupola and had a wonderful view of the city of Rome.

St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, Rome. I am so happy to be there once in my life.

The Spanish Steps- known in Italian as the Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti. The monumental stairway has 138 steps and known to be the widest staircase in Europe.

The Trevi Fountain- This is considered to be one of the famous fountains in the world. No wonder why I really wanted to see it when I visited Rome last summer of 2010. Legend says that if you throw a coin in the fountain, you will surely have a visit to Rome again. This is one thing I surely did. I just tried my luck and I feel and believed that one day I will visit the "Eternal City" again.

There are still a lot of sights to see and to experience in Rome. I would love to share it in my next post here.

If you are planning to visit Rome in the future, be sure to plan it ahead like what we did to avoid stress and hassles. I and my friend found some affordable Rome flights and hotels to stay there. We booked it immediately especially that summer is a peak season to visit Rome. Thanks to the advent of computers and internet, finding cheap flights and hotels anywhere in the world has become very easy and convenient now.

1 comment:

psychelyn said...

Ahh what else can I say but simply Magnificent! I'd love to visit such places someday. I also want this relics of Pompei, have you been there btw?